The MapID's for Islands can be changed as part of an ARMA III update.

Here we can help you solve your problem.
Post Reply
foxsch
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 am

The MapID's for Islands can be changed as part of an ARMA III update.

Post by foxsch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi,

I hope I am posting this in the correct thread.

I was game testing a published mission recently.
As I was playing I noticed that Map Objects I had removed had re-appeared :?:

There didn't seem to be any rational reason for this and I started to check the Game Logic's, and the snippet of code I'd used to remove the Map Objects.

{ ([0,0,0] nearestObject _x) hideObject true; } forEach [01234,5678,91011];

What I realised as I was checking was that it was not the Game Logic, the code or even a server/client problem.

What had taken place disturbed me. :shock:

I had placed Game Logic's in order to remove Map Objects and I had checked as I went along that I had used the correct MapID's for the objects I needed to disappear, and that they did disappear.

What has happened is; as part of an ARMA III update (during the last few weeks) the MapID's for the Island had all been changed.

My point is yes, I'm pretty angry that a great deal of work now needs doing again :evil: but more, I am concerened that the Mission Editor community are not aware, as far as I know, that this could take place for any Island, at any time...

I will post the news up onto the Missions that have been affected, on the Steam Workshop, but I cannot by-pass (even WITH a proxy) my restricted Wi-Fi to post this disturbing fact up onto the Arma-Dev threads or the Bohemia Forums.

I will have to leave that up to anybody who reads this :arrow: Lastly, I consider including the modification of an entire Islands MapID's, whilst the Island has been 'live' for the community for several years, a totally disastrously bad and wrong decision by the ARMA III devs.

I may be wrong but I am also sure that the ARMA III Update at fault (likely the most recent, but certainly within the last few weeks) did not include a written warning for the Mission Editor community that it had taken place; that the change of the MapID's had been included in the update :?:

What gives?
The Devil Finds Work for Idle Hands...

kju
IFA3 Dev.
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Post by kju » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

i think its a technically limitation actually dating back to OFP - like when you build a new terrain version with the BI tools, the ids can get changed. i think its also one reason why BI rarely does updates after the initial release of a terrain

the workaround should be to do a nearestObject check at a position instead (there is terrainObjects now too)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/nearestObjects
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/nea ... ainObjects

A. Roman
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:56 am

Post by A. Roman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 pm

I'd recommend using the 3DEN modules provided by BI to perform such actions or as kju suggested use a position instead of a reference (ID) to a position which might change at any time without prior notice.

I'll blame it on the YouTube videos advertising bad ways to get simple things done in very precarious ways... :evil:

foxsch
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 am

Post by foxsch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 am

@Kju @A. Roman,

Thank you both very much indeed for the pointers and suggestions :arrow:

I will hold off posting the news and nature of the problem onto the relevant Mission pages on the Steam Workshop. I don't want to give the impression that those, or any other of my ARMA III Mission are prone to breaking.

As soon as I can get this sorted out I will post back with the how.

Thanks again for the good advice :geek:

Cheers - foxsch
The Devil Finds Work for Idle Hands...

Post Reply