The MapID's for Islands can be changed as part of an ARMA III update.

Here we can help you solve your problem.
foxsch

The MapID's for Islands can be changed as part of an ARMA III update.

Post by foxsch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi,

I hope I am posting this in the correct thread.

I was game testing a published mission recently.
As I was playing I noticed that Map Objects I had removed had re-appeared :?:

There didn't seem to be any rational reason for this and I started to check the Game Logic's, and the snippet of code I'd used to remove the Map Objects.

{ ([0,0,0] nearestObject _x) hideObject true; } forEach [01234,5678,91011];

What I realised as I was checking was that it was not the Game Logic, the code or even a server/client problem.

What had taken place disturbed me. :shock:

I had placed Game Logic's in order to remove Map Objects and I had checked as I went along that I had used the correct MapID's for the objects I needed to disappear, and that they did disappear.

What has happened is; as part of an ARMA III update (during the last few weeks) the MapID's for the Island had all been changed.

My point is yes, I'm pretty angry that a great deal of work now needs doing again :evil: but more, I am concerened that the Mission Editor community are not aware, as far as I know, that this could take place for any Island, at any time...

I will post the news up onto the Missions that have been affected, on the Steam Workshop, but I cannot by-pass (even WITH a proxy) my restricted Wi-Fi to post this disturbing fact up onto the Arma-Dev threads or the Bohemia Forums.

I will have to leave that up to anybody who reads this :arrow: Lastly, I consider including the modification of an entire Islands MapID's, whilst the Island has been 'live' for the community for several years, a totally disastrously bad and wrong decision by the ARMA III devs.

I may be wrong but I am also sure that the ARMA III Update at fault (likely the most recent, but certainly within the last few weeks) did not include a written warning for the Mission Editor community that it had taken place; that the change of the MapID's had been included in the update :?:

What gives?
The Devil Finds Work for Idle Hands...

kju
IFA3 Dev.

Post by kju » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

i think its a technically limitation actually dating back to OFP - like when you build a new terrain version with the BI tools, the ids can get changed. i think its also one reason why BI rarely does updates after the initial release of a terrain

the workaround should be to do a nearestObject check at a position instead (there is terrainObjects now too)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/nearestObjects
https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/nea ... ainObjects

A. Roman

Post by A. Roman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 pm

I'd recommend using the 3DEN modules provided by BI to perform such actions or as kju suggested use a position instead of a reference (ID) to a position which might change at any time without prior notice.

I'll blame it on the YouTube videos advertising bad ways to get simple things done in very precarious ways... :evil:

foxsch

Post by foxsch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 am

@Kju @A. Roman,

Thank you both very much indeed for the pointers and suggestions :arrow:

I will hold off posting the news and nature of the problem onto the relevant Mission pages on the Steam Workshop. I don't want to give the impression that those, or any other of my ARMA III Mission are prone to breaking.

As soon as I can get this sorted out I will post back with the how.

Thanks again for the good advice :geek:

Cheers - foxsch
The Devil Finds Work for Idle Hands...